When I originally ran in 2008, I talked about the need to get Kansas moving again. That is happening! I am asking to serve the people of 48th District because I believe the vast majority of us as citizens share the same key objectives that we want from our state government, and we have demonstrated proven results. Let's keep that ball moving down the field.
Here are the main areas of focus:
|Economic Development and Jobs Creation and Employment Security|
We are working hard make Kansas a state where our existing businesses can grow, flourish and create jobs. And, we must make Kansas a viable and attractive location for new business to start, relocate and invest. In the last four years, 56,000 jobs have been created - Kansas is getting back on track!
These areas must continue to be our focus:
- Quality and Affordable Healthcare Insurance that business can provide for their employees
- Lessen the governmental burden of regulations and bureaucracy.
- Reasonable, not excessive, taxes so business can invest, grow and create jobs.
- Affordable Workers Compensation insurance.
- Taxation policies that encourage investment and business growth.
- Kansas involvement with up and coming, cutting-edge industries
- Attract companies that will provide opportunities for our college graduates.
- Attract companies that will provide high paying jobs.
- Taxation policies that will make Kansas competitive.
It has been my commitment to provide the resources necessary so our young people are equipped and prepared for the opportunities, and the challenges, of the future, while fighting for increased local control so Johnson County is treated fairly. I continue to fight for:
- Fair and Equitable distribution of tax dollars for Johnson County Schools
- Increased Local Control and Accountability
- Enable Local Communities to raise educational funding with taxpayer approval
- Ensure our Tax Dollars reach the classroom
- Well-paid teachers to attract and retain top educational talent
- Emphasize the fundamentals in education
- Enhance high school curriculums so graduates have life and job skills.
We have made signficant steps in this regard within the last two years. Steve Rose described the efforts of the legislature as a "win" for Johnson County. More work needs to be done, but we are moving in the right direction.
|Fiscally Responsible Government: Fair & Reasonable Taxes|
Prior to 2010, Kansas has the distinction of having some of the highest taxes and governmental expenditures per capita in the Midwest. We have made signficant strides in this area and Kansas now has a tax struture which is beneficial to small business, puts more money in the pockets of families, and puts Kansas in a competitive position with our neighbors.
I will continue to pursue:
- Legislative review of all departmental expenditures and programs.
- Enhanced rewards for governmental employees who identify waste and recommend opportunities to save money and improve efficiency.
- Enact firm “outcome” objectives for all new programs and expenditures.
- Require annual review of new programs and their effectiveness.
- Require legislative review of all regulations and reporting requirements that are created by agency bureaucrats.
- Control annual expenditure increases in the state budget.
Our Greatest Generation and those preparing for retirement deserve our help and respect, not increased taxes and government burdens.
- Avoid new taxes on our already budget-strapped seniors
- Property tax relief for seniors
- Lower prescription drug costs
- Crack down on nursing home abuse
- Enhance Home-based Care options and resources
- Lower costs through healthcare reform